Washington DC Zennie62 on YouTube.com

Sarah Palin resigns: thin skin did her in



More at Zennie62.com | Follow me on Twitter! | Get my widget!



On YouTube.com

As of July 26th, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin will resign her post as Alaska's governor. I deliberately used the term "governor" twice, because even though I disagree with her politics, I always respected her as a governor of a state in America. Moreover, I root for women in politics, period. But I always believed Governor Palin - as I will continue to call her, much as some still refer to California Attorney General Jerry Brown as "Governor Brown" even though he's not been that since the 80s - had too thin a skin to deal with the new level of stardom she achieved after her time running to be vice president of the United States. A lot of this has to do with the life she crafted for herself in Alaska, which totally drove her and the GOP nuts when the media started asking her about her past.

Indeed, with the spotlight on Palin came a set of issues so great in number, I predicted she would be forced to resign in the middle of her run with John McCain and said so in this video:



Here's the list:

1) TrooperGate, where Gov Palin is accused of using her position to fire a state trouper, who's still on the job as of this writing.

2) The news that Palin was part of a group that wanted Alaska to leave the Union.

3) Palin was fundraising director for Senator Ted Stevens' 527 committee.

4) Palin was almost recalled as Mayor of Wasalia, Alaska.

5) She says the Iraq War, costing over 80,000 iraqi lives and several thousand American lives is a war for oil -- she's right, but Republican, so she should not say that.

6) She took earmarks totalling over $197 million, while saying she did not.

Then there was her family. The role her husband Todd Palin had in acting almost as a "shadow governor". Her daughter Bristol Palin, who's on-then-off relationship with Levis Johnston became a media circus itself (and now Johnston's writing a "tell-all" book about the Palins.)

Then there was Sarah the character: the wink, the nasal accent, the dress skirts, the pumps, the boots, and especially the "you 'betcha". Add to that Palin's constant stream of factual errors on federal government operation as she's trying to convince voters she's ready to run the country, and you have what we saw: a media train wreck in slow motion. The process evolved into one where Palin was constantly in front of a camera talking not about Alaska, but putting out some kind of media fire about her family or herself; there was the Bristol / Levy issue, the Bristol / Letterman joke, and the snipping about the McCain campaign staffers. Nothing about Alaska and all that from its governor.

Not good. And it's worse now: she's on Twitter! Yep. Palin's taken to the Twittersphere to attack her critics. Take this latest tweet:

Attached is my "thank you" sent yesterday to express gratitude, & smack down lies at same time http://tinyurl.com/q28wl5
about 2 hours ago from web

Indeed, Governor Palin's used Twitter to deny whatever guess has surfaced about her reason for resigning, particularly those surrounding the charges that Palin steered contracts to build the Wasilla Sports Complex to the company that built her home. (In this, the FBI stepped in and said there was no investigation of the issue.) Take a look at this list of tweets:

Trying to keep up w/getting truth to u, like proof there's no "FBI scandal", here's link http://tinyurl.com/nzlae8 Thanks, AK!
about 2 hours ago from web
so I'll make attempt to keep up w/attaching corrected info. I head 2 West AK villages today, look forward to their busy comm fish activity!
about 5 hours ago from TwitterBerry
Critics are spinning, so hang in there as they feed false info on the right decision made as I enter last yr in office to not run again....
about 6 hours ago from TwitterBerry
To see full text of the letter from my attorney on baseless allegations of past 24hrs check http://tinyurl.com/mmhv4u
about 15 hours ago from web
See letter from my attorney on baseless allegations of past 24hrs @ http://tinyurl.com/l4ct5n
about 17 hours ago from web

Oh, here's the letter:

Happy 4th of July from Alaska!

On this Independence Day, I am so very proud of all those who have chosen to serve our great nation and I honor their selflessness and the sacrifices of their families, too.

If I may, I would like to take a moment to reflect on the last 24 hours and share my thoughts with you.

First, I want to thank you for your support and hard work on the values we share. Those values led me to the decision my family and I made. Yesterday, my family and I announced a decision that is in Alaska’s best interest and it always feels good to do what is right. We have accomplished more during this one term than most governors do in two – and I am proud of the great team that helped to build these wonderful successes. Energy independence and national security, fiscal restraint, smaller government, and local control have been my priorities and will remain my priorities.

For months now, I have consulted with friends and family, and with the Lieutenant Governor, about what is best for our wonderful state. I even made a few administrative changes over that course in time in preparation for yesterday. We have accomplished so much and there’s much more to do, but my family and I determined after prayerful consideration that sacrificing my title helps Alaska most. And once I decided not to run for re-election, my decision was that much easier – I’ve never been one to waste time or resources. Those who know me know this is the right decision and obvious decision at that, including Senator John McCain. I thank him for his kind, insightful comments.

The response in the main stream media has been most predictable, ironic, and as always, detached from the lives of ordinary Americans who are sick of the “politics of personal destruction”. How sad that Washington and the media will never understand; it’s about country. And though it's honorable for countless others to leave their positions for a higher calling and without finishing a term, of course we know by now, for some reason a different standard applies for the decisions I make. But every American understands what it takes to make a decision because it’s right for all, including your family.

I shared with you yesterday my heartfelt and candid reasons for this change; I’ve never thought I needed a title before one’s name to forge progress in America. I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint. I hope you will join me. Now is the time to rebuild and help our nation achieve greatness!

God bless you! And I look forward to making a difference – with you! Sarah


If you think about it, Palin declared her independence from the State of Alaska. But a run for President would be completely stupid. I can see and hear the comments now: "Palin quit on Alaska; she'll quit on America." No. I really think, just looking at her tweets, that something "snapped" perhaps after the detailed and far-less-than-flattering Vanity Fair article by Todd S. Purdum. Palin just signed a book deal herself, one that makes her a millionaire, so she doesn't have to deal with politics anymore. She's made it.

When I worked for Elihu Harris, when he was Oakland's mayor, I talked to him about why so many blacks went into politics rather than the private sector in post-war American history. "We could gain power that way," he told me. Of course, there was the major problem of private sector racism, but Harris explained that politics was the best way to "get in the game" of power. It's also true for women, even today.

In Palin's case, politics was her key to wealth, but now that her celebrity has essentially "paid" her, I'm sure she started to see being governor a kind of burden she had to carry; she let it go, and I think forever.

What will she do next? For some reason I think Rush Limbaugh's success presents a window to a possible future for Palin. But if she even thinks of running for office again, she's going to jump right back into the purgatory she's getting out of. I can't see her doing that at all; I just can't see it.
Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Washington DC Tweets

Popular Posts

three columns